POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Basket-weaving (fun with spline objects) : Re: Basket-weaving (fun with spline objects) Server Time
20 Aug 2024 02:19:17 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Basket-weaving (fun with spline objects)
From: David Fontaine
Date: 17 Jan 2001 00:08:51
Message: <3A6527A9.E755B450@faricy.net>
Chris Colefax wrote:

> Each torii segment starts with the tangent that the previous segment ended
> with, so the results certainly should be smooth.

Just to nitpick: though not the same effect as the ripples we saw, this would
have the same problem as the "roundbox" and related shapes where it looks like
there is an irregularity in the surface. Essentially there is, because there's a
discontinuity in the curvature of the surface, it's most noticeable when a
highlight falls on the discontinuous area. But to make a truly smooth surface
would be needlessly complicated and probably slow to render.